Fall in aerosol use to bring more rain to wet zones

Written by admin on 19/06/2018 Categories: 南京夜网

After the soggiest week in two years and the wettest month since 2007, the sun returns. Rosehill Races were back on Monday after the wet weather. Photo: Steven SiewertWet parts of the globe will face even heavier rainfall if greenhouse gas emissions continue to rise and air pollutants continue to be reduced, a study has found.
Nanjing Night Net

The British study used climate-model simulations to examine the global hydrological cycle between the 1950s and 1980s. It found increased atmospheric aerosols were linked to a weakening global water cycle.

The researchers concluded the impact of climate change on the world’s water cycle would become increasingly evident over time, as aerosols were phased out.

Lead researcher Peili Wu, from the British Met Office, said a warming world would normally result in increased rainfall and river discharge, but human pollutants and aerosols had been masking the effects of increased atmospheric concentrations of carbon dioxide. He said that as air pollutants reduced, the true impact would become clear.

”We know that precipitation isn’t increasing as we had been predicting,” Steven Siems, from Monash University’s weather and climate group, said. ”But this [study] has included the effect of aerosols in the models and all of a sudden precipitation predictions behave better.”

Professor Siems said as the Earth warmed, more vapour could be held in the air. It meant there was more moisture available to fall as rain when a storm developed.

The research, which was published in the journal Nature Climate Change, was said to take better account of the impact of aerosols on the water cycle than previous weather studies.

This story Administrator ready to work first appeared on Nanjing Night Net.

Comments Off on Fall in aerosol use to bring more rain to wet zones

Election date

Written by admin on  Categories: 南京夜网

AFTER the 2010 political assassination of Kevin Rudd by Julia Gillard, thousands of Australian voters lamented the fact that they had been denied the right to remove him at the ballot box.
Nanjing Night Net

Well, that privilege has just been restored with his knifing of Ms Gillard, we just need the date.

That said folks, I’ve now got to “Zip”.

– HAYDN BORELLA, Windermere.

This story Administrator ready to work first appeared on Nanjing Night Net.

Comments Off on Election date

Focus on ministry over pizzas at Sheffield

Written by admin on  Categories: 南京夜网

MEN, ministry and fellowship will come together next week when Sheffield hosts its next men’s pizza night.
Nanjing Night Net

About 160 men attended the last pizza night, which was held in February, and organiser John McMillan said it had been a great turnout.

Mr McMillan said the pizza night was aimed at fostering friendship and fellowship for all the men in the region while getting a chance to spread the Christian message to those who were interested.

Each session has a different guest speaker and the next one will be Inglewood Community Church pastor Mark Edwards, from Perth, Western Australia.

Mr Edwards is in Tasmania on a promotional speaking trail, and Mr McMillan said Sheffield was “very fortunate” to have a speaker of his calibre.

“Mr Edwards has been the pastor at the church for 20 years,” Mr McMillan said.

“For many years he has been an active member of Mighty Men’s Ministry Australia with the emphasis on men’s development.

“Mr Edwards is motivated to see men fulfil their role as fathers, husbands and leaders in the community and is a family man himself, with two young children.” nThe Men’s Ministry Pizza Night will be held on July 17 at the Sheffield Town Hall from 6.30. To reserve your spot and for catering purposes, please RSVP by July 10. The event is free. To secure your spot or for more information, contact Craig on 64921160 or John on 64273477.

This story Administrator ready to work first appeared on Nanjing Night Net.

Comments Off on Focus on ministry over pizzas at Sheffield

Ferrer makes last eight again

Written by admin on  Categories: 南京夜网

Spanish fourth seed David Ferrer reached the Wimbledon quarter-finals for the second successive year on Monday while Jerzy Janowicz and Lukasz Kubot set-up an all-Polish showdown for a place in the last four.
Nanjing Night Net

Ferrer fired 53 winners in his 6-7 (6/8), 7-6 (7/3), 6-1, 6-1 win over Croatia’s unseeded Ivan Dodig and goes on to tackle either Argentine eighth seed Juan Martin del Potro or Andreas Seppi, the 23rd seeded Italian.

The 31-year-old Ferrer, who was defeated in the French Open final by compatriot Rafael Nadal last month, will be playing in his seventh consecutive Grand Slam quarter-final.

Janowicz, the 24th seed, defeated 31-year-old Jurgen Melzer, who was hoping to become the first Austrian man to reach the last eight.

The 22-year-old Janowicz’s 3-6, 7-6 (7/1), 6-4, 4-6, 6-4 win was based on 16 aces and 34 winners as he reached his first Grand Slam quarter-final.

He was joined in the last eight just moments later when 31-year-old Kubot, the lowest-ranked player left at 130 in the world, defeated France’s 111-ranked Adrian Mannarino, 4-6, 6-3, 3-6, 6-3, 6-4.

The last Pole to reach the last-eight at Wimbledon was Wojtek Fibak in 1980. Later Monday, top seed Novak Djokovic, the 2011 champion, tackles 2009 semi-finalist Tommy Haas, the 35-year-old German 13th seed who is bidding to become the oldest Wimbledon quarter-finalist since Tom Okker in 1979.

Djokovic has a 5-3 career record over the world number one, but Haas defeated him at the quarter-final stage on his way to the 2009 last-four.

Victory on Monday would give Djokovic, who has yet to drop his serve in three rounds so far, a 17th successive place in a Grand Slam quarter-final.

Haas is playing in his 53rd Grand Slam, just four behind the record of 57 for active players held by Roger Federer and Lleyton Hewitt.

Second seed Andy Murray, the runner-up to Federer last year, faces Russian 20th seed Mikhail Youzhny and is bidding to make the quarter-finals for a sixth successive season.

The shock defeats suffered by Federer and Nadal in the first week have helped throw the tournament wide open with only five of the men’s top 10 seeds – Djokovic, Murray, Ferrer, Tomas Berdych and Del Potro — reaching the fourth round.

Five players – Seppi, Janowicz, French world number 80 Kenny de Schepper, Mannarino and Dodig – were all making their Wimbledon last-16 debuts.

Berdych, the seventh seed and 2010 runner-up, takes on unseeded Australian Bernard Tomic, a quarter-finalist in 2011.

Del Potro, the 2009 US Open winner, will be looking to make the quarter-finals for the first time when he meets Seppi who hopes to reach the last-eight of any Grand Slam at the 34th attempt.

The last Italian man to reach the Wimbledon quarter-finals was Davide Sanguinetti in 1998.

Spanish former top-10 player Fernando Verdasco faces De Schepper, who is playing in only his fifth major at the age of 26.

AFP

This story Administrator ready to work first appeared on Nanjing Night Net.

Comments Off on Ferrer makes last eight again

Push to put commercial water interests before environment

Written by admin on  Categories: 南京夜网

Commercial interests should come before the environment during times of drought, a state parliamentary committee recommends.
Nanjing Night Net

The committee, dominated by government and Christian Democratic Party MPs, has recommended amendments to the NSW Water Management Act to ensure the commercial water supply for towns and industry are ”prioritised above environmental needs”.

As the legislation stands, environmental needs are given second priority below that of providing a domestic supply of water to towns, utilities and landholders. The commercial supply of water for towns and utilities is third priority.

Under the recommendation of the standing committee on state development, the commercial supply would replace environmental needs as the second priority.

Greens NSW MP John Kaye said the committee’s recommendation to prioritise the water needs of abattoirs and mines before the environment was short-sighted and would ultimately cost jobs.

”The irrigators saw this inquiry as an opportunity to have another go at reducing environmental flows to get access to even more water for themselves,” Dr Kaye said.

”The committee should have taken a longer term view and rejected the false choice between sustaining employment and the health of the rivers, streams and wetlands. It should have pushed the modern adaptive management approach of encouraging industries and agriculture to become more efficient and flexible in their water usage.”

National Party MP Rick Colless, who chaired the committee, which included two Labor MPs, said the main aim of the recommendation was to secure water supply for permanent crops including orchards and grape vines. He said the committee also wanted to guarantee a water supply for industry including abattoirs.

”We see that jobs and wealth-creating industry need to be assured they are going to have a reliable supply of water during times of drought,” Mr Colless said. ”Certainly those industries must be looked after to make sure jobs are kept in regional areas.

”There are no Greens on that committee so they were not exposed to the evidence we took.”

This story Administrator ready to work first appeared on Nanjing Night Net.

Comments Off on Push to put commercial water interests before environment

Teen on hunger strike to protest his detention

Written by admin on  Categories: 南京夜网

MORE asylum seekers could join in a hunger strike at Pontville detention centre unless they are lifted from the “bureaucratic nightmare” of uncertain detention, a Tasmanian refugee advocate has said.
Nanjing Night Net

A 16-year-old Afghani boy at the centre has been on a hunger strike since Friday.

The boy told the ABC on Sunday he was acting in protest against being held in detention for seven months because he believed some people he travelled to Australia with had been released.

It is the first reported hunger strike at the centre and comes just two weeks after six detainees were hospitalised in a brawl over a game of pool.

That incident was just a week after a detainee and a detention centre worker were injured in another reported fight.

Tasmanian Asylum Seeker Support founder Emily Conolan said all the incidents could be traced to the uncertainty caused by longer periods in detention, after funding to community detention programs was cut.

Ms Conolan said everyone she visited at the centre said they could cope if they knew how long they would be detained for and could look to the future.

“It’s an act of desperation and a cry for help of people that feel that they have no other option to express themselves but self- harm,” she said.

A spokesman from the Department of Immigration and Citizenship said the boy was being closely monitored.

A 16-year-old Afghani boy at the Pontville detention centre has been on a hunger strike since Friday. A refugee advocate warns more asylum seekers could join the strike.

This story Administrator ready to work first appeared on Nanjing Night Net.

Comments Off on Teen on hunger strike to protest his detention

Man blamed by accused for shooting was still in bed, court told

Written by admin on  Categories: 南京夜网

As Michael Allan Jacobs lay injured outside a block of flats in Tamworth, police heard him name Terry Price as the man who shot Senior Constable David Rixon.
Nanjing Night Net

But when Terrance James Price appeared in the NSW Supreme Court on Monday, he told the jury at Mr Jacobs’ murder trial he was in bed at his father’s unit on the morning of March 2 last year, the day the police officer was shot.

”I could hear my father talking to someone and I got up to look who it was and I saw police all around the house. They came and put me up against the wall and said I was under arrest,” Mr Price said.

”I was standing at the front door … and my girlfriend yelled out to me and said the police were saying I’d shot a police officer that morning and I said I’d just got out of bed.”

Mr Jacobs, 49, has pleaded not guilty to the murder.

The court has been told the police officer followed Mr Jacobs to the flats on Lorraine Street, where he was shot while attempting to administer a breath test.

Mr Jacobs was also injured, having been shot by Senior Constable Rixon, the jury has been told.

Several police officers who responded to the shooting have told the jury they heard Mr Jacobs say the gunman was Mr Price, who denied any knowledge or involvement when he was arrested.

Mr Price told the court he had previously driven down Lorraine Street, but had never stopped.

”Did you go there at all on the second of March, 2012?” Crown prosecutor Pat Barrett asked.

”No,” Mr Price said.

”Did you at any time shoot at a policeman?”

”No.”

”Did you at any time shoot Senior Constable David Rixon?”

”No.”

The court heard police found heroin in Mr Price’s father’s unit when they searched it that day.

The jury heard that Mr Price was charged with four drug offences in June 2012 and served 10 months in jail.

Defence barrister Tim Hoyle, SC, asked Mr Price if he ”loathed” Mr Jacobs for directing police to him.

”You hate him?” Mr Hoyle asked.

”Yes.” Mr Price said.

The trial continues before Justice Richard Button.

This story Administrator ready to work first appeared on Nanjing Night Net.

Comments Off on Man blamed by accused for shooting was still in bed, court told

State to show its ability on disability

Written by admin on  Categories: 南京夜网

TASMANIA’S version of the new National Disability Insurance Scheme was launched in Devonport yesterday.
Nanjing Night Net

Braddon Labor MHR Sid Sidebottom represented Disability Reform Minister Jenny Macklin at the launch, who was interstate attending one of the other first national rollouts.

Tasmania has been selected as the national trial site for 15 to 24-year-olds entering the new scheme.

Over the next three years it is expected that nearly 1000 young Tasmanians will start to receive the services that they need directly after consultation with planners from the new scheme.

Seven planners have been appointed to the state with three based in the North.

Ms Macklin described yesterday’s launch at various sites across the country as a momentous day.

“It is clear to me that one of the most frustrating things about our current system for people with disability and their families is that they have not been treated as individuals,” Ms Macklin said.

“So even though they might want a carer to assist them for three hours on a Wednesday so they can get out to do their weekly shop and meet a friend for coffee, the area they live in only has carers available for two hours on a Monday evening.

“To many Australians having a choice over when you go to the shops is hardly remarkable – DisabilityCare will make that choice a reality for Australians with disability as well.”

Tasmanian Human Services Minister Cassy O’Connor said that the state government had worked closely with the disability and community sector to get the state ready for yesterday’s launch.

“We’re providing up to $2million a year on top of our projected budget spend of $17.9million on disability services for 15 to 24-year- olds,” Ms O’Connor said.

Support through the previous scheme will be maintained until they have individual plans and support arrangements with the new DisabilityCare Australia, she said.

Jenny Macklin

This story Administrator ready to work first appeared on Nanjing Night Net.

Comments Off on State to show its ability on disability

3.05% rate rise approved

Written by admin on  Categories: 南京夜网

A 3.05 PER cent rate rise for the Northern Midlands was approved for the 2013-14 financial year at last week’s council meeting.
Nanjing Night Net

The council approved its $16.2million budget, highlighting a $7.4 million capital works program.

Northern Midlands Mayor Kim Polley said the rise was in accordance with local government CPI and would be used to maintain existing service levels, fund new initiatives and continue to allocate funds to municipal infrastructure.

Cr Polley said all Northern Midlands properties were given new Assessed Annual Value ratings, which would be used to calculate new rate percentages from July.

She said a differential rating system would be applied for various land use categories in an attempt to raise equal revenue to the 2012-13 financial year.

Northern Midlands residents were also warned that a 4.5 per cent state government bushfire levy would remain.

Cr Polley said although the council was required to collect payments, the fee was a state government initiative with proceeds going to the Tasmania Fire Service.

The council’s $3.2million allocation for roads includes partial reconstructions of Bishopsbourne, Barton, Mt Joy and Green Rises roads, kerb and reconstruction of sections of Napoleon Street and Main Road, Perth, Pultney and Pakenham streets in Longford, and William Street and Main Road, Cressy.

Cr Polley said the council’s 2013-14 annual plan outlined further special projects, capital works and other tasks and targets for the next year.For more information go to www.northernmidlands.tas.gov.au.

This story Administrator ready to work first appeared on Nanjing Night Net.

Comments Off on 3.05% rate rise approved

How far to go?

Written by admin on  Categories: 南京夜网

IN his letter (June 27) Norm McIlfatrick, of DIER, argues for support for reduced rural speed limits on the basis that “this strategy can save lives”.
Nanjing Night Net

The very statement attempts to shut down any counter argument on the basis that it trivialises the tragedy of the road toll and lacks compassion.

Even so, the argument needs to be put in broader context.

Many things we do are inherently risky, be it smoking, drinking alcohol, extreme sports or myriad other activities – including driving.

Yet, even if it would save many lives, injuries and diseases the government does not regulate such activities beyond a certain point.

They know that, in a western, liberal democracy, freedom of speech and action combined with individual responsibility is at the core of the success of our societies.

To regulate in a way that turns safe and responsible behaviour into an offence is to provoke a backlash, especially if the behaviour does not harm others.

I suggest this is why 80 per cent of Tasmanians are so sceptical of the current proposal, and the more individuals actually use our rural roads, the stronger their resistance is.

The proposed speed limit reduction is based on theoretical modelling (the Power Model), which says that reduced speeds reduce the consequences of accident (obviously).

On this basis MUARC has recommended to the government that the Midland Highway limit should be reduced to 100km/h, which the government has rejected.

The modelling also says a reduction of speed from 100 to 90km/h would reduce serious casualties by 27 per cent whereas a reduction to 70km/h would reduce them by 66 per cent, yet I don’t see the government arguing openly for the larger reduction.

The government is going as far as it hopes it can get away with whereas, by its own argument, it should go much further if saving lives was the key criterion.

The government’s own statistics on rural road crashes indicate that speed is not the problem, so this initiative is not well targeted.

– PETER LESCHEN, Birchs Bay.

This story Administrator ready to work first appeared on Nanjing Night Net.

Comments Off on How far to go?